St Gemma's Hospice
为患者提供姑息治疗的信息和教育, 照顾者和专业人士,促进最终的人生选择
A field of diasies



You are legally required to register a death within five days unless the coroner is investigating the death. You need to register a death to obtain documents for the funeral director and for dealing with any money or property belonging to the person who died.

The registration takes around 30 minutes. You must make an appointment with the Registry Office to register the death. If you have the medical card please bring that along with you. You will also be able to make arrangements to use the ‘Tell us once’ service at the same time as registering the death, this enables a number of local and national government departments to be advised of the person’s death eg Department for Work and Pensions, DVLA, Passport Service, HM Revenue and Customs, Housing Benefit Office, Council Tax Benefit Office, Council Housing, Council Tax, Pension Service. You will need relevant documentation to use this service eg driving license, passport number, National Insurance number.

Registering a Death – Leeds City Council Information Leaflet


Details of registry offices in Leeds

You must be one of the following to register a death:

  • A relative of the deceased
  • A person present at the death
  • A person arranging the funeral (not the undertaker)
  • In certain circumstances others such as the administrator or the occupier of the place where the death took place can register

You will need to know the following information about the deceased:

  • The date and place of death
  • Their full name and surname and if the deceased was a married woman, the surname/family name used before marriage
  • The date and place of birth
  • Their occupation
  • If the deceased was married or in a civil partnership, the full name and occupation of the spouse or civil partner
  • Their usual address
  • If the deceased was married or in a civil partnership, the date of birth of their spouse or civil partner
  • Whether the deceased received a pension or allowance from public funds, for example civil service or army pension


For more information on deaths, funerals and cremations please visit the Leeds City Council website or:

Department for Work and Pensions – What to do after a death (pdf)

Tell Us Once – free government service that allows you to report a death when you suffer a bereavement and need to tell central and local government


Translate »